Saturday, October 22, 2016

Book Review: Shadow of the Storm



"There will always be storms, Shira. There will be loss in your life, sometimes devastating loss. But if you let the wind and the rain overcome you, then you will never fulfill the purpose for which you were born, the reason Yahweh gave you breath and brought you to this time, to this place. There will be times when there is nothing you can do but survive, to place one foot after the other into the driving rain... You can tuck your head under your wing for a while, Shira, and wait out this storm. But you will fly again." 

Shira has witnessed God's power as He led the Israelites out of Egypt. Now Shira and her people are parked by Mount Sinai, waiting for the return of Abraham. As the people rebel and chaos descends, Shira finds herself unexpectedly involved in helping a midwife with a birth. Shira begins working regularly with the midwife, meets a man she cares for, and helps with a difficult birth. When everything suddenly goes wrong, she must begin to work through her traumatic past and learn to trust God with her future. 


Shadow of the Storm is a well written, interesting story. It is fun to see the characters against the backdrop of the Bible story. I can tell that the historical background was well researched. But even more so, I was so excited to hear about author Connilyn Cossette! The information in her author biography resonates with me. She is a homeschool mama. I'm a homeschool mama. She is a published author. I want to publish a book some day. She has written a Biblical fiction series. My degree and postgraduate studies are in Bible. Her character, Shira, works alongside a midwife. I have had midwives for 5 pregnancies, 3 home births, and I am a doula and a childbirth educator. So I was pleased and inspired by Ms. Cossette. If she can write, perhaps I can do so as well some day... But not until I have time enough to put more than a few sentences together for a review. 

To learn more about author Connilyn Cossette, click HERE



I received this book from Bethany House for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment