Friday, April 27, 2018

Part 3: My Father's World and Sonlight.... Can't I Have Everything?

Sonlight Vs. My Father's World

Part 3

This is part of a 4 part series.


My Father's World:

Below I shall list my pros and cons for My Father's World. However, keep in mind that what for me is a con may be a pro for you. We are all different!

Pros:
-Family Learning! There's so much I could say about this...
-All the wonderful books! People think Sonlight has a lot of books, but that's only because they haven't seen the book lists in the back of the MFW Teacher's Manuals. If you have a good library, MFW has MORE books than Sonlight!
-The history is chronological and Bible is woven in to each of the programs
-Art, music, science, and hands on projects are included
-The Teacher's Manuals that have taught me HOW to teach my children
-Their ministry to missionaries by providing discounts and sending a portion of proceeds to Bible translation 
-Less expensive than Sonlight
-Customer service is awesome



Cons:
-Readers are not scheduled (I like them to be scheduled so I don't have to plan that part)
-In the lower levels the phonics is tied in to the program, which makes it difficult if you prefer a different phonics program. 
-Some of the history books have been a bit dry and there's not nearly as much great fiction as with Sonlight



Could be Pro or a Con:
-You have to use the library. This is a pro because it is less expensive, but it is a con because you have to go to the library every week (and it is a challenge if your library isn't well-stocked)
-The hands on part is generally a pro, but sometimes I'm in a season where I'm tired and I can't do much, and it makes me feel guilty to skip things
-The student sheets. It's nice to have a notebook to remember things your children have learned, but then again you have a notebook (or five) from each year to keep up with and feel guilty about tossing. Also at about $20 per child the student sheets can get pricey, especially since in some levels you still have to make up some of your own student sheets (or skip that part, like I do!). 
-The early phonics programs: I LOVE the K program. It is a simple but thorough program that can serve as a preK program. However, I pretty much hate the 1st grade program (sorry you lovers of 1st). It moves too fast and it can be confusing the way they present the material (with two very different learners I ended up supplementing with ABeka because 1st was so confusing).

To learn more about My Father's World, click HERE.





My Father's World Kindergarten



Have you used My Father's World? What do you think of their program?

No comments:

Post a Comment