Friday, April 27, 2018

Part 2: My Father's World and Sonlight.... Can't I Have Everything?

Sonlight Vs. My Father's World

Part 2

This is part of a 4 part series.


Sonlight:

Below I shall list my pros and cons for Sonlight. However, keep in mind that what for me is a con may be a pro for you. We are all different!

Pros:
-All the wonderful books! Seriously, I love almost all of them (!), aside from about 1-3 in each core. 
-The rich discussion questions and vocabulary in the IGs
-Their ministry to missionaries by providing a huge discount and sending a portion of proceeds to various ministries
-The books. I know I already said this, but these books are ones that I read over for my own pleasure, that make me think and laugh and cry. 
-Customer service is awesome
-Their Love to Learn Guarantee (return within a year for a full refund; see more details on their website)



Cons:
-The cost is sometimes prohibitive (unless you purchase used!)
-The inability to group children together unless they are very close in age
-The Bible seems a bit tacked on. It's a good reading plan, but it is not linked at all to the history or read alouds and there are no notes for discussion. 
-Not many hands on activities (but they're working on it to add lapbooks and crafts to some levels)



Could be Pro or a Con:
-The books. Some people don't like them for various reasons. (See THIS article)
-Read alouds are great for snuggling, but you may get a sore throat
-The books may be expensive, but they are a great non-consumable investment with a great resale value
-There aren't many hands on projects, but for me that means no guilt over things left undone.

To learn more about Sonlight, click HERE.



Clay Girl #2, 2013 with MFW K



Have you used Sonlight? What do you think of their program?



No comments:

Post a Comment