Friday, April 27, 2018

Part 4: My Father's World and Sonlight.... Can't I Have Everything?

Sonlight Vs. My Father's World

Part 4

This is part of a 4 part series.


How I use My Father's World:

We use: the cores (this year Creation to Greeks and Kindergarten) as our overall guide, including the book basket.

We drop: the recommended math, art, or read alouds.

We tweak: We summarize the history and science readings (and sometimes skip altogether) and only choose the hands on activities that work best for our family. We enjoy listening to the cds in the van, cooking the suggested foods, and doing the occasional craft. Instead of everyone doing a timeline, we do one set in the Sonlight timeline book

How I use Sonlight:

We use: the read alouds, the timeline, and the history/reading/language arts for my oldest as his reading program

We drop: the recommended math, science, and Bible

We tweak: We listen to the verse cds in the van, but don't memorize the verses. We sometimes drop a book, or I'll stick it in the book basket for free reading. 

How I Mesh Sonlight and My Father's World Together:


As you can see, I love both My Father's World and Sonlight! Here's how our day currently runs using both My Father's World and Sonlight (Note I said CURRENT rhythm, things change all the time!)

-After breakfast and morning chores (around 9ish), we start with MFW Bible all together as a family. Sometimes I do this part DURING breakfast, and it is my ambition to start doing it the night before.

-After Bible the olders do "table time," which is phonics and math while I do K with the littles on the floor of the living room. We call this "circle time." Once we're done with circle time, the "official" Kindergartner moves to the table for written work while I check the work the olders have been doing and the others play with "school toys" (MFW preschool/preK toys). 

-Then (around 10ish) we move into the "other" subjects with MFW which are mostly "couch subjects:" history, science, music, art. I pick and choose at this part. I often will summarize a page or two of science or history into a couple of sentences, and we skip a lot of experiments and projects. I try to keep the most meaningful ones. For instance, I try to always to the meals/food. Errybody's gotta eat!

-Speaking of food, I nurse baby while reading in the above segment, and when that segment's over, it's usually around lunch time (12ish)! We do lunch and chores.

-After lunch (around 1ish), we snuggle up to read core A and the read aloud from D (if I run out of time,  my oldest will read his read aloud independently). 

-Around 2 nap time starts for the younger crew, and I direct the olders to do their reading. The 4th grader reads the Bible, history, and readers from D for his reading, and the 2nd grader is reading through Heart of Dakota's emerging readers. 

-Around 3, I go take a nap!! Woo-hoo!

-At 4 nap time's over, and so is school. But before bed we try to read a couple of the P3/4 books. 


Clay Daddy and Kids #2, #5, #4, #3, #1 2016 with SL P3/4

All the Clay Clan, Easter 2018


Does anyone else combine Sonlight and My Father's World? How do you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment